In this article a co-operative retail food store network outlines 5 steps that saw them achieve broadscale staff engagement in energy efficiency and 40% reduction in operational greenhouse gas emissions. These were:
- Know your audience - and give them only what they need/want to know
- Engage at a community level - with the people the community is comfortable with
- Keep it simple - a simple rating scale to show where each group is at, and what they need to do to move to the next level
- Make your champions responsible - provide feedback loops and listen to them
- Be adaptable - reassess and tweak or restructure as required.
To bring 5,000 locations along is a challenge, and one that took consistent commitemnt and focus. How might your organisation apply these steps?